Five for Friday

I'm back for Five For Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching! Here are five bits of randomness from my week...




ONE: We learned about veterans. 


The Veterans are... can... have...is a FREEBIE from Cara Carrol.  The acrostic poem is from Rebecca Johnson at First Grade Fascination. I can't recall if this comes from her blog or her TpT store because I've had it for a couple of years. I just free handed some tracers to make the Marine. The yellow buttons are actually the dot on the lower case i dye cut. And the star is the top part of a book mark dye cut from the work room.

Have you read a book called, H is for Honor? If you haven't you should get it for next Veteran's Day.


We read the book and added the words to our anchor chart about veterans which made completing the acrostic poem waaaaaaay easier. I saw the book at our school's Scholastic Book Fair for $4.99. 






TWO: Turkey Takeover. The second graders at my school read Turkey Trouble and then disguised their own turkeys. They went all out! Can you believe how great these turkeys turned out????

tree

ninja turtle

Mulan

Mario

wrestler John Cena

Batman

Ariel
I think the tree and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle are my favorites, but they were all sooooo good!

THREE: Pilgrim Pete. We just started a unit on shapes. So I figured out how to make Pete wearing a pilgrim's hat out of plane shapes. You can find the template here


FOUR: This happened. The kiddos were creating new shapes using pattern blocks and writing a description of their designs. Read this description.


I asked the little guy to read me his description. He read, "It's a sun with blue stripes." Guess we need some more work on those S-blends! He he. 

FIVE: Neighborhood patrol. Ok, so this didn't happen at school, but it did happen during the school week. That counts, right???


My neighbor is a Houston police officer. He bought his daughter a squad car for her birthday and customized it by adding real police lights. He snapped this pic of his daughter and my daughter, Evangelina, pulling over my daughter, Isabella, in her Barbie Jeep. Priceless...too stinkin' funny.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing task for Veteran's Day. Your classroom looks great.
    Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little police car, its is as though dramatic play has been made fun, maybe your daughter can talk herself out of a ticket in her pretty little car :)
    Love your Pete the Cat shape activity! We just finished up 2D shapes. I will save the idea for next year :)
    Sheri :)

    ReplyDelete