It's a New Year at School! ( Magic e, Fairy Tales, and Measurement)



I spent last week with my family soaking up every ounce of holiday bliss and relaxation that I could!It was wonderful. Then, this week I decided to get ready to kick off 2015 at school. These two days of prep are going to make my January 5th work day no work at all!!! I think I'll just socialize with other teachers and keep them from working ;-) No, really, I plan to clean and organize my classroom.

Anyway, my firsties are starting off the new year learning about silent e (magic e), fairy tales, folk tales, and tall tales, and non standard units of measure. Here's my prep work:

I created this little resource that includes CVCe and CCVCe word work


I made sure to include something for Daily 5 word work and something for assessing my RTI kiddos. 

We are kicking off our fairy tale unit with Cinderella. I have lots of versions of this book. One of my faves is Dinorella. This is a craftivity I made last year to go with the book.


Of course, I've started a Fairy Tale Pinterest board for a little inspiration. I have a thing for cute anchor charts. Right now I'm filling up the board with them. I'll add some more stuff too. Here's an easy anchor chart I pinned. The blog I pinned it from seems to have been deleted. 


In January we will begin a unit on measurement, so I whipped this up. I like that some students can just measure, while others can measure and compare for a little extra oomph. It's a $1 math tub ya'll, or a super engaging independent measurement activity. 


On a personal note...do you Instagram? Me and some other teachers are starting Whole 30 tomorrow. Check out For the Love of First Grade on Insta.. I think it was her idea. #teachersofwhole30 

Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment